Friday, August 24, 2007

HEY! That's ME! (clucky chicken)


So, today’s issue of the local newspaper, The Paducah Sun, features local bloggers in the recently established “Download” section. Besides this here site, One Kentucky Writer, The Official Blog of iList Paducah and Mile High Style all got ink. Go us!! I hope you can jump to the story from this link.

Otherwise, I’m still luxuriating in the latest issue of Real Simple. I can’t help it. Some people are into the Bible, some the Torah, others still the Quran. Me? Just giveth me one new issue of Real Simple per month, thanks.

Inspired by a piece about how one woman conquered her tangled mess of jewelry by using pin boards, and having struggled with the exact same problem myself for YEARS, I set about creating my own version of a pin board.

I had to break down and make a trip to Walmart for corkboards and white glass tipped pushpins, but I found packs of four corkboards on sale for right at $5.00. I wrapped two boards (they are pretty thin by themselves) with the material from a pack of cheesecloth I had laying around the house still in the wrapper and taped the loose edges in the back down with duct tape. I then clipped the boards together with a large binder clip* which conveniently also served the dual purpose of acting as the hanging device.

Next was the fun part—sorting and hanging my jewelry. If you’re like me you have a ton of stuff you never get around to wearing, not because you don’t like it anymore, but rather because you haven’t SEEN the stuff in the last five years. You have one earring but not the other one. And who has time to dig into the far reaches of some dark box to find that blue bracelet you’re only about forty percent sure you still have?

Anyway, here’s my result:
My boards are somewhat less sleek than the RS version, but I think the cheesecloth is more tactile and the whole look turned out wonderfully. I’d go so far is to say it’s even a little boutique-like giving the act of selecting earrings the feel of shopping which, let’s just admit it girls, can only be a plus. (You can slap me any time.)

While I like the jewelry on a bland background, I can’t help but wonder if it wouldn’t also work with fun geometric patterned fabric as well. Maybe even a mix and match sort of thing.

Otherwise, I continue to be in a complete lather about the upcoming release of the documentary film “Crazy Love”. I saw the couple the movie is based on interviewed on Larry King Live and just could not get enough of this story. Unfortunately, the darn thing isn’t getting released to DVD until October, for God’s sake. ARGH!

Anyway, view the trailer here and tell me you aren't dying to see it too.

*There is just no end to the things you can do with a binder clip. If you don’t have any on hand? Run to the store and buy a variety of sizes immediately.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the Sun article and do you feel a crazy love watching party coming on? That's gonna be a good one.

Suzanne said...

I would LOVE to have a Crazy Love party! Let's plan on it!! We can all wear dark glasses and smoke cigarettes in cigarette holders!

Suz said...

First, the semi trailer leaves your back yard.

Then you get famous.

I think we have a trend here.

Silliness aside - although let's don't abandon it forever - congratulations!

Also, great job with the jewelry. That's way cool.

Laura K said...

Love the corkboard! Those clips work to "tailor" clothing for photoshoots...clipping the excess fabric up in the back.

L