Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Big Ball of Yarn

I was simultaneously freaked out and delighted to find this original commercial for Quisp cereal posted on YouTube. Quisp was the favorite cereal of my childhood. I ate it, straight from the box, during countless hours of viewing shows like Scooby-Doo, The Flintstones, and The Jetsons. The cereal was flavored similarly to Captain Crunch and was shaped like little flying saucers.

I remember seeing this commercial. And I have to wonder, was THIS bit of advertising what drew me to the cereal? Because this? This is one weird commercial. A space dude knits a giant scarf in outer space?

All I can picture is a couple of Cheech and Chong-like Mad Men sitting around a conference table smoking some really righteous weed during the Summer of Love saying things like…

MAD MAN #1
DUDE. This Quisp campaign, I don’t know. Just a plain old space man is SO boring…

MAD MAN #2
Totally.

(Mad Man #1 and Mad Man #2 pass the doobie back and fourth about fourteen more times in complete silence, then…)

MAD MAN #1
You know, man, I been thinking.

MAD MAN #2
Oh, WOW! I can’t BELIEVE this! Because I’VE been THINKING TOO!

MAD MAN #1
I been thinking about outer space.

MAD MAN #2
ME TOO! This is unbelievable!

MAD MAN #1
And don’t planets sort of remind you of…big balls of yarn?

MAD MAN #2
(reverently)
Right on, man. That is just so. Like, RIGHT ON.

MAD MAN #1
I’m thinking the Quisp space guy could like…he could knit…maybe a

MAD MAN #2
SCARF! He could knit a giant space scarf!

MAD MAN #1
It could be…

MAD MAN #2
What, 86 miles long?

MAD MAN #1
Dude. Are you crazy? It would have to be eighty-SEVEN miles long.

MAD MAN #2
(Reverently again)
Eighty-seven, man. You are so right about that.

MAD MAN #1
Knit one…

MAD MAN #2
Purl two! Knit one, purl two! Far OUT!

MAD MAN #1
My Gramma used to say that.

MAD MAN #2
Far out?

MAD MAN #1
No, stupid, Knit One…

MAD MAN #2
Mmmm….Gramma. She makes the grooviest cinnamon rolls…

MAD MAN #1
Is there anything to eat around here?

MAD MAN #2
Just this box of Quisp cereal.

(The Mad Men enthusiastically dig into the Quisp in silence for about ten minutes. Then…)

MAD MAN #1
(suddenly)
DAMNIT!

MAD MAN #2
(startled)
What is it man?!

MAD MAN #1
I forgot, we were supposed to work Shecky Green into the Quisp commercial somehow as a favor to my Uncle Morty!

MAD MAN #2
Don’t sweat it, Dude.

MAD MAN #1
Easy for you to say. Poor Shecky hasn’t worked in years. How does he fit into the Big Ball of Yarn commercial?

MAD MAN #2
He’ll uh…., he can uh….

MAD MAN #1
He’ll have to be the voice of the Quisp astronaut guy.

MAD MAN #2
Right ON, my bruthah!

MAD MAN #1
Dude. You are so stoned.

3 comments:

Suz said...

Good grief. I missed a lot of TV during the 70's because I was working, attending law school, moving to another state, starting a new career, yada yada. . .

My only TV set was a 12-inch black and white which was a gift in 1970 and used until 1984. When I finally bought a color Sony tabletop model that weighed approximately half a ton.

Thanks - I think - for this glimpse of what I missed in that lost decade.

I think you're on to something with that reconstruction of the brainstorming session! How else could that commercial have come to be?

Tammy said...

Wow.

Suzanne said...

;)