Friday, July 13, 2007

What's Great About the 80's--John Lennon - Woman

I’ll introduce this next video in my by way of memorializing a conversation Satan and I had at a “Black-Eyed Pea” restaurant in which, by the way, we experienced seriously crappy service giving us plenty of time for yet another ridiculous exchange.

SATAN
So, what are you thinking about?

ME
You guess.

SATAN
Oh, this is a tough one let’s see…YOUR BLOG, by any chance?

ME
So what if I was?

SATAN
(sigh.)
Okay, I’ll bite, so, what about it?

ME
Well, I was thinking what I’d post next in my series on what’s great about the 1980’s.

SATAN
That ought to be a short series.

ME
Funny.

SATAN
So, tell me, what IS great about the eighties?

ME
John Lennon.

SATAN
John Lennon? You can’t post about John Lennon in a series about the eighties, he died in…

ME
1980. December.

SATAN
Yah, so…

ME
So…he released Double Fantasy in 1980 and those songs all hit the charts in the eighties.

SATAN
(stuttering…)

ME
Oh! In YOUR FACE, Beatles man!

SATAN
But, he WROTE all that stuff in the seventies.

ME
Okay, I know you’re not now trying to randomly channel facts about when Lennon may or may not have written something. What were you…living in The Dakota at the time?

SATAN
You can’t post about John Lennon in a series about the eighties.

ME
The man released an album, a double album, in November of 1980. I’m sorry. It’s a fact.

SATAN
YOU CAN’T claim John Lennon for the eighties.

ME
I can and I will.

(Consider it done.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, this time I must side with Satan.
1). there was NO music in the 80's;
2). Absolutely, never, under any circumstance, can you claim John Lennon in the 80's -- it was only a coincidence of marketing;
3). Shall we review: Staying Alive, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston;
4.)You can have Bruce Springsteen but only because he was nice to look at.

Suzanne said...

Okay, you CAN'T side with Satan because, as we know, he is EVIL.

Maybe you two should form a support group because, yes, Lennon released music that charted in the 1980's. Double Fantasy was a product of the 1980's. Was it his best? No. But still, it was good and it was of the EIGHTIES.

Sheesh, why does everybody have to be so hostile?

MCD said...

I side w/Biz. JL died Dec. 8, 1980. That's nearly one whole year of life in the 80s. As a matter of fact, his death is one of the FEW things (other than the birth of my daughter) that I actually remember from the 80s.