Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Afternoon in Estes Park

We finally managed to escape to the mountains, or at least as far as Estes Park. As we did last time we were in Colorado, we intended to visit the Stanley Hotel or, as we like to call it, "The Overlook" since it is the hotel where the movie "The Shining" was at least partially filmed. The Stanley, however, has gotten rather proud of itself since our last visit and has begun to charge $5 just to drive on to the property. We found that rather annoying, so I contented myself with this shot (above) I took from the Lake Estes trail. Which, really, isn't half bad if you click on it to enlarge. It is a crazy picturesque spot.

It was an overcast day, so none of my photos turned out as well as I would have liked. Still, I'm posting some of my favorites. The shot of the two girls on the tandem bike I took from a picnic shelter we dashed under to wait out a short rain shower. We met the girls on the trail a few times and each time they were giggling madly but paused long enough to shout an enthusiastic "Hello!" to us.

Despite the rain and overcast conditions, I loved the weather. Cool enough for me to need my denim jacket, but still warm enough to be comfortable in shorts and hiking boots. Ah, summer in the mountains. There's nothing like it.









1 comment:

Suz said...

While you're out playing, I've tagged you as a Rockin' Girl Blogger.

Rock on!