Saturday, July 14, 2007

In Bloom


Enjoy the latest in my "bloom" series. This blossom is especially significant since I grew in myself from seed, something I cannot say about the majority of the plants in my care. I took the photo just now on my balcony (I'm working on catching up w/ you-know-who). For some reason, this was an especially tricky flower to capture for my lense. It kept blowing out no matter if I used auto, manual, macro...ARGH! I don't know what ultimately worked. Maybe it was the especially colorful cursing.
Unfortunately, I lost the seed packet, and I've now forgotten just exactly what kind of flower this actually is. If you know, can you please tell me in the comments (Julie? Christa? Anyone?)? I love the color and shape of the bloom, it sort of puts me in a mind of a Morning Glory but it can't be that because the bloom does not open and close at all. It does, however, grow on a vine. It's a small flower, I'd say no more than an inch across. I adore the vivid blue color and the contrast of all three colors on one tiny blossom, as well as the five sided shape. Click on the image for a larger version.

2 comments:

MCD said...

I do believe that this is some type of morning glory or moonflower cousin. GORGEOUS photo, btw.

Suzanne said...

C:

I'm beginning to think so too; I said the flower didn't open and close, but just this afternoon, the blooms have closed. The leaves are not heart shaped, however, like Satan's morning glories are. (thanks)