Thursday, July 19, 2007

Design Star: Season Two

We all have our dirty little secret favorite reality shows, don't we?

And since I'm always whiling away the hours waiting for the latest season of my VERY FAVORITE reality competition, Project Runway, to hit my mailbox from Netflix, I'll be meantime tuned into season two of Design Star on HGTV which premiers this Sunday, July 22 at 9:00 p.m. CST.

I LOVED season one, although I had to watch clandestinely in the guest room. Reality TV makes the S-Man completely CRAZY--he hates it. Each time he catches me watching, black smoke starts rolling out of all his orifices, his face turns beet red, and he gets all sweaty.

Then he gets really mad.

Anyhoo, this season, DS the line-up includes 11 contestants all of whom you can preview (SFW)via video, a slide show, or read a Q&A (or all three if you're really into it). I can save you some time by telling you that the ones you simply MUST experience are:

1. Josh Johnson from Hendersonville, Tennessee. (noise) Josh has a southern accent thick as molassas and a flambouyant design style he describes as "the love child of Little Richard and Charo". Josh further describes his decorating style by saying, "Imagine the Eiffle Tower in a fur coat." Josh's sense of personal style is manifested in a glittery loud wardrobe heavy on the bling. This guy is a real character and I hope he's got all the right crystals to go the distance.

2. Lisa Millard, Berwick, Pennsylvania. (noise) Lisa is a free spirited quirky designer with drastically two-toned hair. A twenty-five-year-old commercial restaurant space designer by trade, Lisa's special area of expertise is texture. This is a girl who designed and then made her own wedding dress. Out of wax paper. Lisa says she isn't afraid of color either. Which? When you're not afraid of wax paper as wedding gown material, I'd call you a pretty fearless designer all around. Can't wait to see how she does in a competitive setting.

3. Neeraja Lockhart. (noise) Neeraja is one of the older contestants. At 42, she is a make-up artist, a photo stylist, and a bitch. Neeraja's design style is "colorful and dramatic" and she doesn't mind bossing everyone around. Also? She doesn't care who she has to step on to get to the top. I believe this is the constestant they figure will "Amarosa" up the show so I look for her to progress fairly far unless she's a total wing-nut of a designer.

4. Robb (yes, that's two b's if you don't mind) Mariani. (noise) According to RobB, he is from Milwaukee, has been designing all his life (he's at least in his thirties), is able to design in any style from Victorian to Contemporary, and is (here's the hook) straight. Straight like, as in for fun, he likes to drive a semi-rig kind of straight. RobB is a self-proclaimed ugly tee-shirt wearing "man's man". Personally? I like my designers with a little less testosterone, but what do I know.
So that's about it. Otherwise, the videos were as you'd expect or I had trouble getting them to play. This season's show has the nerve to have a blog that I for some reason am not personally writing. I mean, jeeze, all they gotta do is call, drop me an e-mail, send up a smoke signal---I'M AVAILABLE TO BLOG ABOUT MY FAVORITE SHOWS in case anyone is wondering.
Ahem.
So, anyway, looking forward to Sunday.

No comments: