Friday, July 20, 2007

Hairspray: The Review


It's not often that I sit here, fingers poised above the keyboard trying to think of something to say about a movie.

But, this is one of those times.

Because...Hairspray is a perfectly cast, beautifully costumed, impeccably performed hot fudge sundae of joy from beginning to end. There isn't a false note, a draggy segment, or an uncommitted actor to be found. I could go on about each performer individually (and I'm kind of tempted), but suffice it to say they were all just fantastic.

I'm happy to report our little town had the good sense to turn out for the premiere; the theater looked to be near sold out. The audience was moved to applause after several of the amazing numbers during the movie and pretty much everyone succumbed to enthusiastic applause at the end. Not since I saw Grease for the first time have I felt the impulse to leap out of my chair and dance out of a theater as strongly as I did tonight.

Just go.

No comments: