Sunday, July 29, 2007

Girls Gone Wild

It's been a great weekend.

Yesterday I fixed lunch at my house for my friends, Christa and Mary. Afterward, we went shoe shopping at N&N where many shoes were tried and none were chosen. Then it was downtown for more shoe shopping which morphed into antique shopping where we spent some time agreeing that old iron beds are the bomb and we each need (a reasonably priced) one for our own selves.

Then it was back to my house to cool off with fresh brewed iced tea (because antiqueing in this town is hot work) and to check movie times for The Waitress (noise) which we took in at the matinee showing. The film was a sweet feel-good flick I highly recommend. Besides Keri Russell of "Felicity" fame (who did a fine job), the film also starred Cheryl Hines of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" where she plays Larry David's wife, Cheryl. In "The Waitress" Hines plays Keri's BFF and fellow waitress at the pie diner where they work. I can only imagine Hines must be from the south, because she kicked some serious ass with her right-on southern accent. If not, super-snaps to her voice coach.

After the movie, I spent some time explaining to my little friends how I just am not into drinking, don't care anything about it, hardly ever do it because I'm all about feeling good and enjoying the moment to the fullest extent possible. So of course we then headed on over to a certain dilapidated river side bar where we all proceeded to load up on beer.

Just when we thought the evening couldn't possibly get any better, Essie, the big haired Mayfield Karaoke man showed up and began cranking out the tunes and strumming along on his guitar. It wasn't too long before we all three somehow found ourselves holding a microphone a piece and harmonizing along with our new good friend, Essie, with every song in the Eagles catalog (did I mention Mary and Christa are also "kin" to me? They, too, know many lyrics.). Our biggest fan was a large giggly man in a do-rag who spent most of the evening encouraging us to, "BRING IT ON HOME, GIRLS! YAH! All RIIIIGHT!"

Of course, we were only too happy to, ahem, "bring it on home" again and again. I think it was Christa who began to do the whole "woo-hoo!" between songs and enthusiastically shout out the name of the bar where all this fun was taking place. Like as in, "Woo hoo! We're kickin' it tonight at XXX's Bar! WOOOOO!", etc. Of course, I cannot repeat the name of said bar here, as it is far too embarassing, but last night? Last night it was our most favoritest place in the whole wide world. And soon we were all doing the, "WOOO! Let's hear it for XXX"s Bar! WOOHOO!" into our individual microphones between songs.

Dear God.

Eventually, though, we did reach that point in the evening when it was far past our bedtimes and a large infusion of grease laden food was absolutely critical. I can tell you that the patrons of the X-Bar did try to entice us to stay with the promise of free shots while Essie cued up a personal favorite of mine on the k-machine, "Mustang Sally", as we were settling up the tab. I'm happy to report that we somehow had the good sense not to take them up on that particular offer.

Otherwise we might still be there. Bringing it on home.

3 comments:

j. said...

We must do lunch, soon, like early this coming week. I want to hear all about you and Christa's gig at the "bar anonymous". Hope you are doing well, miss you gobs and gobs

Suzanne said...

Miss u too, Ms. Mom! Lunch early next week for sure.

MCD said...

I giggled and giggled at this post remembering our motley crew at Unmentionable Bar. I had such a great time.