Monday, June 25, 2007

Feelin' Lucky


Today I woke up early and met a friend for a leisurely breakfast, came home, did a few things around the house, worked on the blog a bit, fixed the S-Man lunch, then headed to my Grandmother's.

Grandmama lives in a small town about thirty five miles from here and I was in my element. Free as the breeze on a Monday afternoon, driving through the rolling countryside, my Amy Tan book in the CD player. When was the last time, I asked myself, was I this free on Monday in late June?

And the answer to that question came back the summer of 1981, twenty-six years ago. Only then? I was too angst ridden to enjoy the beauty of a summer afternoon. Too focused on whatever the (nonexistent) drama of the day was in my life to fully take in a beautiful blue sky, the heady smell of honeysuckle, and the rain.

Not so today! What a great drive.
Today was my Aunt Mona's birthday and she, too, was feeling lucky. That's Mona at the top of the post enjoying one of her favorite birthday treats: scratch off lottery tickets. No big wins this time, but still? Three dollars to invest in three more tickets and who knows where THAT might lead!

Grandmama fixed an unbelievably delicious lemon pound cake which we enjoyed with frozen vanilla yogurt.
I had a great afternoon with some of my very favorite people.

No comments: