Friday, June 22, 2007

Decisions, decisions...

Well, it's happening and I knew it would.

Now that I'm, temporarily at least, out of the nine-to-five grind, my body is struggling to settle back into its natural rythmn which up-all-night. I was always a night owl as a kid and definitely so as a teenager.

For the first week or so I was off work, I stuck to my usual schedule which is to wake up between 7 and 8 a.m., if left undisturbed. But this last week, my true colors have emerged. Come 10 p.m., I start to feel all perky--bright-eyed and bushy tailed, even. This morning at 1 a.m. I was all busy learning how to design my own blog banner. By 3 a.m. I had settled down enough to read myself to sleep with "Long Day's Journey Into Night".

But, still? Three a.m. is a tad on the late side.

I'm not sure when I would have awakened left to my own devices. As it happened, a flurry of construction activity next door did the trick at around 9 a.m. At first, I thought I was dreaming about hearing loud motors and the sound of LOTS of wooshing water. Upon becoming more conscious, I realized that, indeed, I was hearing the sounds I thought I was dreaming, and a peek out the window told me the loud motor sounds were coming from huge cement trucks, and what I thought was rushing water was actually the sound of rivers of liquid cement streaming down metal half pipe troughs into large wooden forms.

At the moment the scene looks like this:



Both the buildings next door are going condo (yay!!) and both of these concrete pads are still wet having been poured just in the last hour or so. If I had to guess, I would think they are going to serve as foundations for garages or carports.

In any case, poor FurGirl was damn glad to see me awake having long since passed her usual morning pee-pee time, I found her big furry body pressed against the bedroom door, her nose a little desperately poked into the space between the bottom of the door and the floor sort of like, "Help! Somebody?! Mommie died and I gotta GO!"

So, yah. Today's dilemma? To sleep all day or not.

Hmmm. It's a puzzlement.

(Doncha just wanna SMACK ME?)

2 comments:

Suz said...

Nah, I don't wanna smack you. Because I'm going through some of the same things myself since I retired on March 1.

Now if you REALLY want to mess with your sleep-wake cycles, do what I did: spend nearly a month touring countries on the other side of the International Date Line (Australia, NZ and Fiji). I've been home four weeks now and I think I'm finally getting back to whatever "normal" is for me now. It helped that I just went on a road trip for a week with relatives and thus had to keep to a schedule, if a flexible one.

Good luck!

Now I suppose that anybody who wants to smack you will also wanna smack me.

Suzanne said...

Let's smack each other! :)