Wednesday, September 19, 2007

TV Love


Now that the rest of the world has dove into S-4 in real time, last night, the S-Man and I began watching season three of Grey’s Anatomy, hot off the Netflix presses. You’ll remember my joy at seasons one and two, not so very long ago.

I have to say, after taking in the first three episodes, I fear the show may have jumped the shark, as they say. (Warning: some S-3 spoilage ahead)

To sum it up: I’m finding the competition between McDreamy and Bat-Boy just a tad unrealistic and not particularly amusing, the tension between Christina and Preston’s ivy league mother, Dianne Carroll, predictable, and the romance between George and Hot Hispanic Doctor just plain boring. I prefer the angst-ridden Meredith Grey, the harried desperate George, and the aloof but longing McDreamy.

I’m all about the drama of the unrequited, I suppose. Much more interesting. I used to tell the S-Man, back in the 1800’s when we were dating, that we should break up at the height of our romance and never see each other again.

This would at least partially ensure our feelings for one another would never change and we could go to our respective graves quietly and tragically rhapsodizing about What Might Have Been rather than haggling about paint colors, disagreeing about the Indigo Girls, and driving each other slap ass insane with sail fish (him to me), perfume (me to him), bazaar notions about furniture placement (him to me), and the proper way to dress a hamburger (both ways).

Obviously I’m not alone in thinking this way this since “Moonlighting” ended shortly after Mattie and David got together, and Cheers prolonged its life by keeping Sam and Diane in a constant state of upheaval and Mare and Mr. Grant’s attraction, though barely ever even hinted at, bubbled comfortingly beneath the surface of MTM, helping to keep that show afloat as well. Rhoda and Joe’s marriage didn’t even last a whole season.

In TV-land, married couples are Archie and Edith. Lucy and Ricky. Al and Peggy. Mike and Carol. They may be funny, but hot and romantic they are not.

And so it is with Grey’s Anatomy. Even the hint that the way might be clear for Meredith and Derrick is giving me a bad case of the yawns. I can’t help it. And this whole wacky competition for Meredith’s affections seems to be a little beneath the show’s dignity. Granted, there is a fine line between edgy (which I love) and corny (which makes me want to spit up). So far, Season Three is trending toward the corn, I’m afraid.

On the other hand, it’s just been 3 episodes and I’m not giving up yet. I’ve managed to stay largely in the dark about the events of S-3 by studiously ignoring any press on the show either online or in real time. I’m sticking with it a while longer. If for no other reason in the hope that we get to see more of McSteamy. Alot more (if you know what I mean).

In other news, the minute I rip down all my William Sledd links, the Rachael Ray show extends the voting. Get all the details here. And be sure and support the home town gay man.

No comments: