Thursday, September 13, 2007

Being Good

I’m taking another run at incorporating exercise into my daily routine. I’ve also resolved to spare myself the negative self talk that usually accompanies such resolutions during which I chastise myself for not starting sooner, remind myself how far I have to go, and completely give up the first time I miss a scheduled work-out opting instead to treat myself to a Yesterday’s turtle sundae in a grand what-the-hell-you-only-go-around-once self destructive gesture.

I have to admit, not having a job makes this whole working out thing waaaay easier. I’m back to it on the BowFlex. Surprisingly, I haven’t lost any lower body strength during these last two months of naughtiness. My upper body, on the other hand. Oy. I think it’s the Achilles heel for many women. You have to hand it to us girls south of the border where we have the wherewithal to deliver a whole ‘nother person into the world, but we seem have sacrificed something upstairs for the privilege. Or at least I have. As Scarlett O’Hara would say it’s a wonder I can even “drag a cat”.

I’m taking a three-pronged approach to fitness this time working on strength, flexibility, and cardio. So, weight training, walking, and yoga are in order. Long walks this time of year are a treat in and of themselves. I was never one to miss the sweltering days of summer and much prefer the snap of autumn. The S-Man and I took the first cool stroll of the season last night and I couldn’t have been happier to be wrapped in a Pashmina.

I’m shopping around for a good yoga workout on DVD (please recommend any you think are good), but am tonight working out with my favorite yogi at a local church. We have resolved to arrive early so as not to get stuck on the front row.

The front row at yoga class. Just thinking about it sends a little involuntary shiver up my spine.

Otherwise, I remain concerned about William Sledd's standing over at the Rachael Ray polling place. He's fallen to third. THIRD, ya'll! This despite the major push by all the local blogger girls. Not to be outdone, I understand William is planning a push of his own. I'm thinking that'll do it. I will, of course, stay tuned since I seem, for reasons unknown even to myself, congenitally unable not to.

2 comments:

MCD said...

Rodney Yee has some good yoga DVDs. He's always by himself and in some beautiful outdoor locale. He uses voiceovers instead of talking during poses, which is also nice. The ones I've seen are more in the hatha yoga style, which are much easier for beginners like me.

Suzanne said...

Thanks for the advice! I am definitely in the beginner state. I'll check them out.