Monday, September 10, 2007

Marley and Me

As you may have noticed, I recently added to the sidebar that I'm listening to the John Grogan memoir, "Marley & Me" on CD in my car.

This book entered my consciousness a while ago when a friend loaned it to me insisting I read it, and I took it with the best of intentions. Unfortunately, the book then became lost in the chaotic rolling trash can that is my Subaru. By the time this patient friend asked for the book back, three months had elapsed, and I hadn't read a single sentence.

I returned it guiltily.

So, when I saw the story on CD, available at my local library for free, and read by the author to boot, I knew I had to snap it up.

The book, as they say, had me "at hello".

"Marley and Me" is a joyous but unflinching account of Grogan's, experiences with his dog, Marley, a goofy, neurotic, over sized, happy-go-lucky yellow Labrador Retriever. John Grogan and his wife, Jenny, lulled into a false sense of security by the steady, even tempered dogs of their respective childhoods, adopt the rambunctious wilding that is puppy Marley on a whim while still newlyweds.

To say that Marley turned out to be a handful would be an understatement.

But I think most if not all dog owners will identify with the compromise often necessary when adding a member to the family that is of the four-legged variety. Ultimately, like children and spouses, dogs must be loved, to a certain extent, just the way they are. And this can sometimes be a big compromise. Thing is, though, the rewards are big too: unconditional love, devotion, and loyalty right back at you.

I recognized so much of my relationship with my own FurGirl in the pages of "Marley and Me". Especially the over the top exuberance and enthusiasm that a dog brings to day to day existence. You really can learn alot from a dog. And "Marley and Me" is just the book to bring that notion sharply into focus.

I spent the better part of the afternoon taking in the last half of the book, unable to leave my car. Ultimately, I was so enthralled that I brought the CD's inside and listened to the last two (in a row) on my computer. I was delighted to learn at the end that the author has a blog and that the book will be made into a movie starring Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson (get well soon, Owen!) that is scheduled to go into production next year. David Frankel of "The Devil Wears Prada" fame will direct.

In the mean time, read this gem for yourself. Or, better yet, pick up a hard copy or book on CD at the library.
[Edited to add: I've checked with a Medical Professional about that foot that I accidentally impaled on the jagged fish nose. Turns out, the options are three-fold. I can 1) Develop gangrene and lose the whole leg in which case I can marry Paul McCartney, have his baby, and then go on "Dancin' w/the Stars" after making off with a sizeable chunk of his fortune; 2) Develop tetanus and become completely unhinged as a result of the neurological side effects in which case I can stop wearing panties, have my lady parts repeatedly photographed by the paparazzi, shave my head, and then give a really embarassing musical performance {noise}at the VMA's that showcases my flabby belly; or 3) Be just fine. My Medical Professional and I are betting on #3. Will keep you posted.]

1 comment:

Patience-please said...

Oh Marley, Schmarley... It's so pedantic in a "NYT bestseller's list for forever" sort of way. You need to read Mama Pajama Tells A Story, and I'll be happy to give you a loaner!
Your blog is awesome - thanks for the inspiration.
Patience