Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hiking and a Movie

Yesterday the S-Man and I got up early and realized the weather was too perfectly fabulous to ignore. We decided to head to Land Between the Lakes to hike a trail.

No such trip would be complete without our FurGirl. Unfortunately, because I haven't had her sheared since I've been off work, she is a big, furry smelly mess. The S-Man proclaimed her too stinky to ride in his vehicle (which is kind of a laugh since his vehicle smells like cigars that he claims his recalcitrant "friends" are smoking in there) and so before we could load up, Mr. Particular took the hose and flea and tick shampoo to the dog.

I never have understood FurGirl's reaction to getting bathed. She is, after all, a Retriever, and loves the water any other time. She can't get enough of jumping in the river or the fountain or the lake or any body of water. Douse her in shampoo and soak her with the hose? And you'd think her heart was breaking.

She doesn't try to run away or anything, she's too well trained for that, but she has a look the whole time of tragic, grim-faced resignation. The fact that she looks half her normal size with her fur thoroughly soaked just adds to the overall effect. While the S-Man vigorously and efficiently soaps, lathers and rinses her, FurGirl radiates misery. If I'm anywhere in the vicinity, she fixes me with her most pathetic, "Help me, Mommy!" expression which is, under normal circumstances, sufficient to elicit my immediate aid. Not so, however, during bath time.

The good news is that, when the bathing is over, (maybe because it IS over) FurGirl is even happier than normal. And so she was yesterday, galloping around the yard, tongue lolling out the side of her mouth, a big goofy smile on her face. Her joy was complete when she realized she was going for a ride in the car!! Wee!

We hiked my favorite trail at Lake Hematite and were dismayed to find the water level lower than I'd ever seen it. And I've hiked the trail for twenty-five years. If you click the link, the miniature dam you see was completely dry. I had my camera with me, but didn't feel like taking too many shots of the scene. There's a lake there, but just barely. I hope it has just been an unusually dry season and the lake will rebound in the spring.


There were a bunch of butterflies on this blooming bush, but I didn't manage to capture it very well. In the background, you can sort of see the vegetation that has begun to grow up in the too shallow water nearest the shore. At no point on the hike did the water ever look any more than 2 feet deep at the very outside.

Still, it was a glorious, invigorating walk, the place was practically deserted. FurGirl was able to lead the way out front the whole 2.2 mile hike. We kid ourselves that FurGirl would alert us to any snakes on the trail when, in reality, she would likely bolt at the sight of any strange reptile.


Otherwise, I am completely engrossed in the PBS documentary series, "The Staircase". I rented what I thought was the entirety of the show on DVD from the library and then found out after four completely gripping episodes the DVD is only the first in in a two DVD series. ARGH! There are few things in life as frustrating as "To be continued..." flashing unexpectedly on my TV screen.

Despite all that, if you're a fan of true crime drama, this is your movie. The documentary follows the 2003 story of Durham North Carolina writer, Michael Petersen, who is accused of murdering his wife. Peterson claims she died as the result of a fall down the stairs she took while he was at the swimming pool. The filmmaker had incredible access, joining the action just after the tragedy and filming virtually every facet of this twisting, turning true life nightmare.

I'm only halfway through it, and I can already unreservedly recommend it. Just don't rent disk two before I get to it. Otherwise, I'm coming over.

1 comment:

MCD said...

I saw a segment about this on American Justice or similar awhile ago. Interesting.