Friday, May 08, 2009

The Abandoned Maltese: An Accidental Update

Because many of you have asked...

You may remember when I posted about an abandoned Maltese that was found dirty, scared, and alone near a busy street in Paducah. I was sent the photo and the notification about the situation by a friend of a friend of the gentleman who found the dog. At that time, he was looking to find the dog a good home, and following my blog post, I was surprised at how many inquiries I got from my readers. Although, really, that is some serious cuteness.

At the time, I followed up by contacting the friend who'd sent me the original notification, who put me in touch with yet another friend of the guy with the dog. According to this friend, who I spoke with on the phone, the guy who found the Maltese had recently lost his long-term pet, a dog, and wasn't ready to adopt again, or at least that's what he thought at the time. I located the gentleman on Facebook and friended him, though we never communicated. And I never heard back following my inquiry.

Which is a really long lead-in to say that yesterday, on my way home from work, as I turned onto Pecan off of Highway 60, there sat, in a truck, stopped at a stop sign, waiting to turn onto Hwy 60, what was unmistakably the face of the little Maltese looking pretty much exactly as he does in the photo peeping serenely out the window. He was sitting in the lap of the driver, also unmistakably the original "finder" of the dog, I recognized him from his facebook photo.

I was so thrilled to see them together, so obviously a happy pet and master that, as I made the turn I could not stop staring, and inadvertently crashed into the curb, and jumped it with two wheels. Fortunately, I then managed to swerve back onto the road before something really awful happened. Good thing I drive a Subaru.

And that's the rest of the story.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

What a happy ending!