Thursday, May 24, 2007

Festival and Fringe

We're gearing up in the hood for our big annual event (scroll down to see the whole schedule). The street in front of my house is closed as is the street over. A total of six blocks will be without vehicular traffic. FurGirl enjoyed several middle-of-the-street romps on our walk tonight, a rare treat indeed.

I'm not sure we're going to get away this year without any rain, but I have to admit I'm just mostly glad it isn't likely to be unseasonably hot like it was last year.

We're going to have much more exotic food choices this time, for instance: Pad Thai, Spider Rolls (yes! sushi!), Chai Tea, and Lobster Croquettes as well as the usual barbecue, barbecue, barbecue. And! Cheesecake on a stick! As for me, I usually just end up buying and eating grilled burgers morning noon and night. Because a grilled burger is God's perfect food.

The tee-shirts are super cute this year with some babydoll styles with scoop necks, not just one design fits all. Also, there will be free yoga sessions in front of the main stage (7th and Madison) at 10AM Saturday and 10AM Sunday. They will be lead by someone who is nationally known, I'm sorry I can't remember his name, but I hear he is very good. Just wear something loose, they are providing even the mats for free.

Not to mention, all the great galleries will be open for browsing! Come on down! We'll chat!

Otherwise. We've had a bit of a. Well, I guess you could say a decorating incident?

I should preface all this by saying that Satan and I, since we married, have been on a quest for The Perfect Bedspread. We've been on this quest for, oh, say, ten years now. It goes like this: If I find a bedspread I like? Satan doesn't like it. If he finds a bedspread he likes? I don't like it. And so on.

During this time, our bed has been dressed with an unending sucession of crappy blankets and throws. Over the years, Satan became randomly convinced that the ONLY possible bed treatment that he would ever possibly enjoy was an actual BEDSPREAD. Not a comforter. Not a duvet cover. Bedspread. Only. BEDSPREAD!

That should have been my first clue that we were headed for disaster. But, no, I just kept on keeping on finding treatments that I liked and Satan kept on rejecting them. Because they weren't, technically, BEDSPREADS.

Satan! Must have! Bedspread!
(How about a comforter?)

Comforter! No cover bottom of bed!

(There's this thing? Called a dust ruffle...)

No! Do not say the dust ruffle! Satan spits on the dust ruffle!
Dust ruffle for girly man ONLY!

A month or so ago, Satan mentioned something about a bedspread (!BEDSPREAD!) and the internet and an order. And, you know, I was all whatever, okay...blah blah.

Until. Until I came home to this:

And, trust me? I think the picture is actually FLATTERING that color a little bit.

It went like this:
ME
(walking unsuspecting into the bedroom)
(then, suddenly, I gasp)
(Involuntarily, I clutch my chest.)
SWEET JEESUS!

SATAN
Pretty, huh?

ME
Does that come with sunglasses?

SATAN
It's chenille!

ME
You're not keeping it...?

SATAN
Look! It has FRINGE! 'Cmon, touch it!

ME
Okay, just don't talk to me like that.

SATAN
Feel!

ME
I'm afraid it will burn.

SATAN
You don't like it?!? But, it's chenille!

ME
I feel a headache coming on. I have to look away...

SATAN
(Hops under the cover fully clothed, looking extremely proud of himself and begins patting the "chenille")
Yep! This is my Chenille Number Five right here, baby!

ME
(Backing out of the room.)
I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that.

SATAN
(to my retreating back)
Don't you wanna feel the FRINGE!
IT'S GOT FRIIIIIINGE!
***
So, yah. Wanna feel my bright pinkish orangish "Chenille Number Five" bedspread?
Did I mention it's got fringe?
Fringe!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want a poster! yum, yum. I sent you a newsy email to bizzy.

L,
J

MCD said...

Hilarious! I can totally relate to the bedspread mayhem. Once I start on a Trek du Bed Covering, I am unstoppable...even through threat of US Bank NSFs. It's a sickness.