Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day


This was the best photo I could manage tonight (and it's super blurry) of our neighbor, Julie's, Powder Puff Chinese Crested, Rosie. Rosie walked with FurGirl tonight, all the way to the city hall fountain and back. Try as I might, though, I just could not get a good one of the two of them together. They are both the nervous type.

We were walking off dinner: pork loin encrusted with garlic and rosemary and roasted with potatoes, a side of asparagus, and broiled parmesean garlic english muffins. Our friend Mark joined us and we had a nice, quiet visit.

It was a long weekend what with the festival and all. The S-man didn't quite know what to do with himself, being a workaholic and all, and waking to a full day of rest after a weekend of nonstop activity. This kind of thing is sometimes more than he can handle. And this was one of those times. He spent the morning sort of moodily pawing the ground, snorting, and looking dangerous. But a good movie, "Keeping Mum" (see sidebar), a high-dollar trip to Sam's, and he was mostly recovered.

I spent the day cooking. For lunch I whipped up some cornbread and spicy chicken, rice and vegetables.

I'm sort of dreading the week.
P.S. I sort of forgot to mention that I decided during a prolonged conversation about death with some people I know last week that I would totally like to be buried in a tiara. Pretty much, no matter what age I am when I die. Because, first off, it's sort of hilarious to be in a coffin with a tiara on your head, isn't it? It might just lend that sorely needed note of levity to the proceedings. And, secondly, how great would it be to know you'll be spending eternity in a tiara? Thirdly, maybe there should be an actual law enacted that every girl must be buried in a tiara.
Or would that be going too far? I'm not sure.

2 comments:

Mary Thorsby said...

I'm with you on the tiara thing. In fact, I'll plan to wear one in the weeks leading up to my almost-inevitable demise...

Suzanne said...

An excellent plan. I'm thinking the right tiara might just WARD OFF death (sort of like garlic and vampires but different and more sparkly).