Saturday, October 25, 2008

Becoming


Is there anything more dazzling than fall foliage?

I'm taken away more and more by it every year. Driving down Jefferson Street yesterday, I agreed again to myself that fall is, indeed, the most gorgeous season of all. But, even as I said so, a little voice in my head whispered that I will think the same of spring when it arrives. I always do.

I know there are plenty of people out there who are fans of summer and winter. And, indeed, the beauty of all seasons is not to be taken lightly. But, for me? It is the spring and fall that are truly breathtaking.

So I thought about spring and fall being the transitional seasons: those that turn warm to cold and cold to warm. The in between that is neither completely one or the other.

Maybe these seasons are best because, like in life, it's not really as much about getting there as it is the process of becoming. It is, maybe, more significant to weather changes--to live through the transition--than to actually arrive on the other side.

Maybe it is the journey to the transformation brings out the most beautiful in everything.

Today? I will hope so.

3 comments:

Suz said...

I hope so too.

We're also having a pretty autumn season here. I used to just dislike fall, because after this: Colorado winters. And I really don't care much for snow.

But if I don't fret about the winter there's so much beauty to enjoy outdoors right now. I'm trying for fretless today.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

I am a lover of Spring and Fall also! We have just returned from the mountains and the trees were just spectaticular. There's something about Fall that makes me want to do things around the house, kind of like tucking it in for the Winter.

Rhonda

kari and kijsa said...

Beautiful photo!!
Have a blessed Sunday!
kari & kijsa