Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Peace

Brick: Somethin' hasn't happened yet.
Big Daddy: What's that?
Brick: A click in my head.
Big Daddy: Did you say, 'click'?
Brick: Yes sir, the click in my head that makes me feel peaceful.
Big Daddy: Boy, sometimes you worry me.
Brick: It's like a switch, clickin' off in my head. Turns the hot light off and the cool one on and all of a sudden, there's peace.


***


-From Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, released in 1958 featuring Paul Newman as Brick and Burl Ives as Big Daddy speaking the amazing words of playwright Tennessee Williams.

Tennessee. Now, there was a guy born with a finger on the throbbing jugular vein of madness the southern way. People go 'round the bend fairly often everywhere, I realize. But in the south? One can do it while smiling and offering you another helping of lemon icebox pie (especially if they're female). Which, in itself, is fairly frightening, but that's a whole 'nother story.

***

If you're not familiar with "Cat", you should know that what gave Brick his click is liquor. My com padres and I don't get The Click very often. But when we do? Ahh...when we do.

Still. I like to think Brick has finally found peace another way.

1 comment:

Suz said...

Lemon. Icebox. Pie.

You know about lemon icebox pie.

Which is what I preferred to birthday cake as a kid.

Talk about a click. :-)