Saturday, October 15, 2005

Home Again


Sorry for the long absence. When I started this blog I had hoped it would be as near daily as possible. I have a semi-good excuse. I went to a work conference in Louisville. Which SHOULD be good news journal-wise except I FORGOT MY CAMERA. I was about thirty miles out of town when I came to the realization and darn near turned back.

So, no pictures from the trip.

I spent three days in the Galt House soaking in the latest state-wide HR buzz and WAY too much food. I had the good fortune to have dinner with my great friend Kim who good-naturedly took some time out for me when I gave her the big hi-surprise-i'm-in-town-for-five-minutes-want-to-have-dinner? call. We enjoyed an over-priced but tasty meal at Kuntz's not the least of which was taken up by a discussion of just HOW one arrives at the conclusion that Kuntz's is, like, THE BEST possible name for your wonderful new restaurant. We reasoned something a little less anatomically reminescent would be more in order. We also discussed the perplexing problem of distance as you get older. I mean, in your twenties you practically live and sleep with your good friends and by your forties you're wondering if you should even bother them to have dinner with you and they are wondering if they really want to go. As Yule Brenner would say, "It's a puzzlement".

After dinner, we walked up fourth street to Border's and enjoyed two excellent cups of chai tea al fresco. It was the perfect crisp fall night. I proclaimed that chai tea tastes exactly like liquid Christmas. Think about it. Kim promised to come for a visit to see the new place and I'M HOLDING HER TO THAT.

Oh, one moment for a book on CD recommendation: "Never Change" by Elizabeth Berg. I enjoyed it both to and from Louisville. Very good audio read.

I arrived home to find my new Diamond Flyer Todd Oldham couch had arrived:



Isn't it the most (to say the least)? You might, very reasonably, conclude that the plan is for the new couch to go into the red family room but actually I'm planning to place it in the living room and move the incredibly comfortable sectional into the family room for TV watching.

If you haven't visited my good friend Todd Oldham's portion of the Lazy Boy website, you really should. Todd has really got this whole "retro" thing covered with a line of furniture that has the most incredibly vast choices of fabrics and finishes that I think I've ever seen. The site is really interractive too so you can try out all those fabrics, etc. on the piece of your choice as you watch. I've never been a fan of Lazy Boy (quite the opposite in fact), but I've got to hand it to them in this case. To top it all off, it's some of the most affordable stuff out there.



No comments: