Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Steam Heat!



I can't resist posting this bit of video (4 mins 33 secs) from "The Pajama Game" (1957). The excerpt I'm posting here is the show-stopping number "Steam Heat" featuring Carol Haney (center dancer) who won a Tony for her performance in this role in the stage version of the musical. The amazing choreography is by my hero, Bob Fosse. It's a great example of Fosse's revolutionary moves and the thing just makes me smile throughout. It's only recently been posted on YouTube and I'm so glad somebody took the time to finally make it available online.

As I watched this bit of video again tonight, I was suddenly reminded of how Michael Jackson dressed, for much of the 1980's, in pegged black pants, white socks and dark shoes. It's easy to forget, now that poor Michael is a circus freak, what an amazing dancer he was in his time. I suppose it's a long shot that this bit would have inspired Michael's 80's look. Then again, stranger things have happened.

No comments: