Sunday, December 09, 2007

Sunday Randomness


I meant to post that photo along with my others of Cincinnati, but somehow forgot. I'm not sure what church that is and I've exceeded what I consider a reasonable amount of google time trying to figure it out. So...there you have it: an unidentified Cincinnati church that adds a beautiful touch to an impressive skyline. I do like the warm light in this shot. It's taken me forever to figure out that I'm not really taking a picture of whatever my chosen subject might be, but rather I'm taking a picture of the light on that subject. Or at least that's how I see it.

My obsession with the "Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man" CD continues. I hate to rehash, but good lord, I don't know WHEN I've ever been this in love with a CD start to finish. This work is just genius. I don't know how I've missed Rufus Wainwright either, one of the contributing artists to the CD, he actually performs two songs: "Chelsea Hotel" and "Everybody Knows". The latter of which I'm powerless to prevent myself from posting (I think I've already at least linked to the former).



[Another aside: I notice that Rufus contributed to the "Across the Universe" soundtrack.]

I'm going to do my best to shut up about this dynamite CD now. But I'm not making any promises.

Now that I think of it, I can actually recall previous love affairs with CD's that were probably as passionate, though they are certainly few and far between. The Buena Vista Social Club (soundtrack)is definitely another and the similarities between the Leonard Cohen and TBVSC are sort of striking. Both excellent documentaries with kick-ass soundtracks about music from another era.

Another would be Supernatural, Carlos Santana's Grammy winning bright burning comet of a collection. Which would make two in a row with Latin themed music. Probably not a coincidence.

The third would actually be the Time Life Essential Jazz Collection, a three disk set of the best of the best jazz standards that I picked up in New Orleans years ago. I can find it available nowhere on the web except here. Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughn, Duke Ellington, Nat King Cole, Count Basie...every one a must have. These are the CD's you play for absolutely any occasion and they are perfect. These three disks stayed in my player solid for well over a year when I first bought them probably seven years ago and come out for almost any party or get together, my own personal happy hours, or just Sundays cleaning the house. Love, love, LOVE.

Have you had a major love affair with a CD and every song on it? I'd love to hear what it was in the comments section.

3 comments:

Aynex Mercado said...

If I have to say a CD i am obsessed with is Picaresque by The Decemberists. But I'm obsessed about all their music. That is all I hear all day. Except now that the S-man is torturing me with xmas music at the Texaco.

Brenda said...

BEAUTIFUL picture!

Bubble Girl said...

My obsession with The Swell Season (from the movie 'Once') has continued unabated for nearly 2 months. Gorgeous, melancholy, passionate. If my ipod could wear a thin spot on it's little hard drive it would be right where those ten songs are.