Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The New Year: Day Two



We've reverted back to teenager-hood. Well, either that or we've finally chilled out entirely. Because we're now officially staying up all night and sleeping half the days away. This is how, left to my own devices, I would choose to conduct my schedule.


Satan's birthday extravaganza continued to January 1st (that ACTUAL day of his birth). We awoke extremely late and headed to the local Fresh Market to cherry pick festive delicacies for "breakfast": sushi (for me!), fresh fruit, havarti cheese, tiny cheesecakes, nuts. This bounty we enjoyed on our hotel balconey despite misting rain that went on pretty much all day.

Since cycling was out, we checked into Borders and in a fit of total sloth and decadence, stayed all day (until 8 p.m.) lollygagging and reading on the deep, comfortable couches, listening to the latest music releases, and drinking fancy coffee concoctions while reading in the coffee bar.

I read fully half of this memior during my stay. Not that it was the best book in the world or anything, but because the author, my age exactly, chronicles her torturous battle with quitting smoking which she finally accomplished by taking a week off work and actually having her husband chain her to a radiator all day. In the end, I really don't think she was a bigger junkie than me, but I've got to hand it to her: nice gimmick. Got her published, anyway. I wish my struggle with quitting had. God knows, it was sufficiently long and torturous enough even if it didn't involve a forty pound chain.

This morning we sought out a laundry-mat and washed up our clothes and then cycled some more around Savannah. It was cold today, by southern standards anyway, only about sixty degrees at most. My pashmina came in handy, as I was able to wind it several times around my neck as I rode and snapped pictures. The photo at the top of this post is of a scene that really sort of threw me for a loop the first time I saw it through the view finder--it was so familiar. Finally, it hit me, it is this same view that I used as a screen saver (one that came with the computer) for months on my work computer. Only that view was taken in the fall when the trees were all bright orange.


After a few hours of biking, we had a nice plain little lunch at a local diner then shopped our way through the part of downtown that we had missed on our last round. We found many, many things to our liking but not many fell within our budget.

I took this shot in a trendy Parsian themed shop. I think that's Amelie.

I've learned my ride isn't leaving these parts until the day after tomorrow. Which means, darn, a couple more days off work than anticipated.

We're planning a quiet night tonight, ordering in pizza and watching The Illusionist.

No comments: