Friday, September 30, 2005

Daredevil


Well, the decision is made on the family room color: Daredevil. Red, that is, in case you can't tell from the picture there. I pondered several shades, but it was the daredevil that called to me. They all look much alike in the photograph, but daredevil is actually the color in the larger pamphlet that shows a bathroom wall with a sink in front of it, the same color in the large chip beneath it. Though I thought I would have to, Satan (heh...satan/daredevil...heh) says I will not have to prime, but should be able to accomplish the correct hue with two coats or so. I'm so excited about a vivid color. I'm hoping to paint on Sunday.

I'm becoming more and more educated in the camera dept. I have explored the Cannon Rebel, Panasonic Lumix FZ30, Nikon D70 and 50, some sort of Nikon/Minolta mix that I found inferior and a couple of fancy Olympuses (?). I think the Nikons are out of my league as is the Rebel. Oh, but the Rebel DO TAKE some nice quick pictures. I think the Panasonic Lumix FZ30 is looking like the most bang for the buck. It's almost alone in its class with a similar camera, the Sony Cybershot being as expensive as the high end Nikons. I'm leaning. Definitely leaning.

Otherwise, by request (of one!), I'm posting the recipe for my famous (all my recipes are "famous" in case you're wondering) spanish brown rice. Enjoy guilt-free as this is a WW points free food.

Suzanne’s Spanish Brown Rice

2 cups brown rice
2 cups water
1 beef (or chicken or vegetable) bullion cube
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
Salt or salt substitute
½ small or 1 medium onion (to taste)
1 cup salsa
Olive oil
Avocado
Fat Free Sour Cream

Rinse the brown rice in a sieve and set aside to drain. Chop onion and sauté in a deep skillet for one minute in the olive oil. Add cumin and coriander, and stir and sauté another minute or so. Add brown rice, and bullion cube and stir and brown for a bit (less than a minute). Add the water and salt or salt substitute and bring to a boil stirring constantly. Cover, reduce heat to minimum, and simmer for 40 minutes. Stir in salsa and re-cover, simmering for another five minutes.

Garnish with fat free sour cream and chopped (and salted) avocado.

No comments: